PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Where to fly in East Midlands
View Single Post
Old 9th Oct 2013, 10:54
djmgw

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to fly in East Midlands

I did my PPL at Nottingham in 2000/01 and found it a good club overall but stopped using it after I gained my ppl as the admin and organisation started suffering - I understand the CFI has changed since then. Its a nice airfield with good facilities for the aviation side - runways, fuel, hangarage, lit runways - is the NDB still working?

The club side was a bit basic - food etc was hit and miss, flyouts a bit infrequent and mostly to Skeggy - which is OK but not very adventurous.

I then went to East Mids and flew with East Midlands Flying School which I understand is no more as Bill(?) sadly passed away and they merged with Donair. I found it a great learning experience flying from a large airport with the R/T and procedures - gives you lots of confidence landing after one of those orange jets.

As stated above it was very professional and seemed geared towards producing commercial pilots - not a criticism at all but thats what it seemed like.

Leicester I only ever visited but looks like a very nice club with great social facilities as well as very smart and comprehensive flying facilities.

I lived in Loughborough so was lucky to be able to reasonably choose any of them. I think if I'd stayed down there (am in Manchester now so Barton is Hobsons choice) I would have given Tollerton another go as I think that suited me best.

djmgw