PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Rotary Nostalgia Thread
View Single Post
Old 9th Oct 2013, 08:51
Savoia

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Some great responses to Planko's enquiry!

If anyone has photos/memorabilia from their Hiller/47 days .. please do post!

Planko: Great shots from the Hiller museum.

As FH1100 has said .. the 12E-4 had the availability of dual controls .. accommodated on the aircraft's port side rear bench (see below):

Hiller UH12-E4 G-ASAZ cabin view

Because of the wide angle lens .. the pedals for the 'rear seat' pilot's position look a little far but ..

G-ASAZ controls (the 'famous' Hiller from the film 'Goldfinger')

.. in reality they are within reach.

From my godfather's days with the Airborne Forces Experimental Establishment (AFEE) at RAF Beaulieu and later with the Aeroplane and Armament Experimental Establishment (A&AEE) at Boscombe Down, he would tell me that he and his fellow test pilots would constantly be trying out new types which they have never flown before and .. in some cases .. which had no accompanying paperwork (manuals or instructions). He told me that more than once did he gave himself a little 'fright'!

I suppose when the 109's were captured in the Falklands (if they were flown off) that someone may have had to do a bit of 'experimenting' to get them to the ship!

Back to the Hillers and Bells .. the 47 'J' had two configurations. One in which the driver's legs were astride the main console (as per the 12-E4) and the other where the instrument stack was off to one side (as was the case on Ferranti's J2) and which my godfather would refer to (and which was perhaps commonly referred to) as the music stand!