PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QF near miss over Great Australian Bight
View Single Post
Old 8th Oct 2013, 23:56
Capn Bloggs

Received 76 Likes on 44 Posts
Well perhaps Ben's latest might fire up the discussion??
Better that Ben keep his mouth shut so people just think that he is an #$%^& than open it and confirm that he is...

The abrupt reversal of the TCAS advisory to the easyJet pilots caused them to climb so suddenly that their jet pulled 2.04 G while rolling into a left turn with an angle of bank of 30 degrees, injuring a cabin attendant.

This wasn’t just a breakdown of separation, but a highly unusual TCAS event, and one that did not conform to the gentle almost unnoticeable changes in direction that are considered almost universal in TCAS directed air space conflict resolutions.
TCAS Reversals are part of the game; the fact that the easyjet pilots totally stuffed it up has nothing to do with the TCAS or for that matter the ATC that caused it. Better he be sledging the crap pilot training), me thinks (quite easy to follow a TCAS reversal with wings level in my control-column machine; perhaps it's more difficult in a joystick Airbus)...

easyJet flight changed from DESCEND, DESCEND CROSSING to CLIMB, CLIMB NOW in two seconds.
Shock,horror! The electronics, initially assessing a descent requirement, changes it's mind and issues a climb. What would he suggest... "Dear pilots, I'm really sorry about this, but because you twits didn't do what I just told you to do, I'm now going to have to get you to climb. But don't worry, I'll giver you a few seconds warning. And remember, don't pull the wings off when you do it".

Originally Posted by Avherald
At the same time the crew of DS-1058 received a "Monitor vertical speed" with all vertical speeds to climb marked red and descent speeds between 0 and -1500 fpm marked green. The autopilot is being disconnected, the pitch angle changes from 2.8 degrees to 5.3 degrees immediately after.
Ben, notice any problem here? When the "foolproof" TCAS is working with pilots who can't even do as asked, what do you expect?

Your sledging of the TCAS is a cheap shot and unjustified.

PS: Good to see the AF pilots did everything right for once!