PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Modular V Integrated (Merged) - Look here before starting a new thread!
Old 8th Oct 2013, 21:01
fwjc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's certainly interesting to see both sides of the argument for/against integrated discussed so articulately by strong advocates of each side.

I think it's horses for courses. You need to look past the shiny advertising and "promises" made by integrated schools. But similarly not all modular routes are optimal.

I interviewed at a big integrated school and was offered a place on their high level scheme since I passed all their tests with no problem. There was no way on Earth that I could afford their course, not now, not ever. I went modular, while maintaining a full time job. Three years later, I had completed everything and had £30k worth of debt and a job and i still had my own house by the skin of my teeth. This is a lot better than £100k worth of debt, with or without a job. I am now paid to fly, and am nurturing further opportunities. [Edited to add that even if I had £100k handy, I would not have gone integrated, although I would have considered doing ground school full time.]

I have several friends who have travelled both routes in recent times. Four modular people are now in full time flying jobs; one in freight, one in regional, one with a large national carrier, and one with varied ops including air-taxi etc. None of my friends who went integrated have flying jobs. Two integrated friends who went with the same big school I interviewed with don't have flying jobs, although one did start out with some part time work. I've another friend who is with that school now. I have no doubt he will find a job, but this is because he's a natural leader, hard worker, multilingual and mature in his outlook. Another modular student also failed to get any decent flying work and is now doing something else entirely.

This is a small sample size so not a huge amount can be taken from it regarding relative "success". But what it does show is that modular does not preclude you from getting a job, and integrated does not guarantee you a job. Your personal skills, life experience, and flying skills all play a part, and both routes only teach a portion of these skills and not always to a high standard. I've flown with a big school graduate who actually couldn't judge a glide approach or the flare. And I'm the first to admit my theoretical knowledge isn't as deep as I'd like - the downside of not being spoon-fed and relying on distance learning. More work to do there for me.

Really, there are more than two sides to this story, but the fact is it isn't a one size fits all. The main thing is to do your research, and go in with your eyes open.

Last edited by fwjc; 8th Oct 2013 at 22:47.