PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MCT at cruise
Thread: MCT at cruise
View Single Post
Old 8th Oct 2013, 07:56
framer

Received 483 Likes on 130 Posts
What is "suddenly"? If you mean instantly - then you would with 99% have had forewarning.
Not really instantly, I'm thinking more over a time frame of three or four seconds.
I do maybe 250-300 flights pr. year or up to 3000 flights in a decade. Will I make all 3000 flights is FL100, because of the odd chance I might experience a pressurization problem? Of course not, to me this is similar in likelihood.
Everything we do is commercially driven at the end of the day. If it had no economic impact then yes, you would.
What does it cost you to cruise at 10,000 ft? Lots
What does it cost you to fly within cooee of optimum? Nothing.

Even if I had to descent, a quick call to ATC, "unable to maintain speed, require descent", may often be in time to avoid having to make a mayday call (pan call - urgent message- will get you nowhere, and does not allow you to deviate from your clearance - but that's a different story ).
I will deviate from my clearance as I need to to fulfill my obligations. If nothing on the TCAS Pan will suffice. It is an urgent situation but there is no immediate threat to life - but that's a different conversation

To whom are they talking? Who is this "you"? Clearly, it is someone who didn't do his ATPL:
Clearly. The document is written largely in a conversational tone. It's quite well done really. It is aimed at pilots who have an ATPL. You should read it, I reckon you'd dig it.
On what do you base this assumption?
Practical observation. I explained it in my last post. The thrust levers work hard.
What is "BEST SPEED"? I have never heard of "BEST SPEED" before, "best speed" for what?
Bottom right hand corner of the HOLD page. It says BEST SPEED and gives a number. The FCOM says this about it
BEST SPEED

Displays computed best holding speed based on present altitude and conditions.

Note: May exceed maximum speed permitted by regulatory agency.
Does your FMC not have this?
...but the again, who holds at FL380?
I do on a regular basis. Believe me it's not by choice.
Righto, off for a two sector eleven hour day. Have fun.