PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 8th Oct 2013, 00:34
Danny42C

Gurkhas, Mushrooms and Lobsters.

Chugalug,

"Ko hai, Sahib !"

I don't think your Gurkhas were unduly solicitous of the welfare of their Sahib. Rather they realised that the success of the night's operation depended on their stealthy approach through the jungle, whereas if he were with them, it would be much the same as having a bull elephant crashing through the foliage, alerting every living thing within five miles.

"A sitrep by radio regarding the likely Japanese positions". How well do I remember them, carefully chinagraphed in on a map overlay on an easel by our ALO at each briefing. Everyone played along with him, although all knew that (a) we had no idea where the Jap was, in fact (b) the Jap probably had very little idea where he was, either. The situation on the ground in Burma was (generally) best described as "fluid".

Post-war, I'm afraid most of the most prolific mushroom grounds soon reverted to the farmland from which they'd been taken (although I believe that pillboxes and air raid shelters were used for small-scale mushroom growers, as being dark and damp, and too much trouble to demolish).

It does my old heart good to hear that someone holds Air Traffickers in respect - if not with affection ! Never mind: "oderint dum metuant" (let them hate provided that they fear), the motto of Caligula and his ilk....D.

ricardian,

Seems like a sensible use of resources, but carried a risk, as the century-old Victorian iron pillars of these old piers would be so corroded that it was only by the lobsters holding claws that they remained upright !......D.

MPN11

"Ah yes, I remember it well !" I'm not sure they were that big (I take it that you're a keen fisherman, and this is akin to the ever-extendable salmon that got away !) But they certainly were huge: we called them "horse mushrooms".

We're all looking forward to your story of your time with the "fishheads" (sorry, Jack, but you did bring in "crabs" - no offence taken !) Never thought much of the idea of landing an aircraft on the roof of a boat myself, anyhow...Ancien Grognard (aka) D.

Smudge,

Thanks ! Go ahead. Let's have the red carpet ready ....D

Goodnight to you all, Danny.