PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Noise at Brize Norton
View Single Post
Old 7th Oct 2013, 20:37
BEagle

Received 279 Likes on 113 Posts
There is also the issue of planting trees which are not native to British West Oxfordshire and the resulting influence on the local eco-system.....

The problem of C-130 engine running was the time at which it was often conducted. To many it seems that the standard Hercules servicing policy calls for engine runs - or that absurdly noisy auxiliary power unit - at totally unacceptable times of day/night. Of course some runs are essential, but quite so many? Mind you, I'm told that Belfast engine runs were far, far worse. I heard one once at RAF Abingdon in 1973 during our UAS Summer Camp - it went on for most of the day!

The Atlas should require far fewer engine ground runs as it is a 21st Century design with rather more on-board diagnostics. But currently I hear that the Atlas hangar is threatened by the potential impact upon the local Great Crested Newt population, a species protected by the UK Biodiversity Action Plan.... That might seem quite daft; sorry, but that's UK policy.

Unfortunately the early days of the C-130 relocation to Brize weren't handled particularly well by some. At one meeting with the locals, the Brize station representatives were politely asked why the C-130s weren't sticking to the Station Flying Order Book requirements. Some huffing and puffing and "I'm sure that's not correct" noises were forthcoming, until the well-primed village spokesman read out the exact reference specifying circuit height and 'village avoid' requirements which applied to all station-based aircraft (including the flying club), but which the C-130s weren't observing. 'Collapse of stout party', as the saying goes! But at least that was soon sorted out.

Last edited by BEagle; 7th Oct 2013 at 20:42.