PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPL Test
Thread: PPL Test
View Single Post
Old 7th Oct 2013, 20:00
piperarcher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd say know your patch. By that I mean when your examiner gives you your route to plan, try and remember what airfields there are in the vicinity for a diversion, what VOR's you might need to use to do a cross-cut, what airspace to be aware of, what hours of operations a MAZT might be open in case your examiner asks you to transit across one (I had this to find out that it was not active at the weekend and my minutes trying to establish contact and miles spent routing around it were totally unnecessary and were not a good sign of airmanship or preparedness). Have a method for diversions and maybe be prepared to explain that method to your examiner if he asks you how you calculated the heading and time to the next waypoint.

Each examiner and FTO are different, so any homework you can do finding out what the examiner likes, doesn't like, might ask you, wont bother with etc... is probably very useful.

That FAA video is inspiring, but the UK PPL syllabus is different and I don't think if I was honest I could sit there for an hour answering questions like that under exam conditions. Luckily we don't have that part here in the UK.