PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Southwest KLGA gear collapse.
View Single Post
Old 7th Oct 2013, 15:50
Desert185

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yancey Slide:

"Tell me, any CA here during their initial command training or subsequent upgrades receive ANY training/discussion in the sim on taking over from an FO, anyone here have any guide on this in their manuals? From my experience NO, yet some here expect a picture perfect result from it."

Haven't most CA's by the time they get to those levels have some instructing background? One would think that the knowledge of knowing just how long a rope you can safely leave someone before jumping in would have been developed there, especially initial student pilot instructing.
Taking over from a student's botched approach/landing attempt was something I learned early on as a GA CFI (with course training and later experience). The airlines never taught that, even when becoming a check airman. Knowing how much rope to dole out, along with knowing your personal ability to recover said rope is part of the game. Like Harry Callahan said, "A man's got to know his limitations".

Sometimes doling out the rope can be an instructional learning situation for some pilots in order to fully realize the error of their ways, but then safety and structural integrity must always be measured in the equation. That balancing act should always be extremely conservative when herding a load of pax, and the industry default go-around was certainly a step in the right direction.