PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPL Test
Thread: PPL Test
View Single Post
Old 7th Oct 2013, 08:01
Steve6443

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you know the examiner's weight in advance, get the weight and balance done and to get real browny points, show him your calculations - it's too easy to use (eg) WnB Pro on the iPhone.

Secondly, make sure you know what all the knobs, switches and dials do, even if you've never used them before - for example altitude preset on autopilot - or be aware where they are - alternate air on a Piper is always a favoured one to be asked for.

Thirdly, be prepared for changes - on my first take off, 500 feet in the air, the examiner closed the throttle and said "engine failure after take off" so be prepared to rattle off your immediate actions on the check list.

Fourth, whilst talking of check lists, refer to them at all times. I have flown (once) with some other pilots who believe checklists are not for them, they can "remember it all from memory" - however they still forget to set the gyro, turn the transponder to altitude or something stupid which would be a fail. By taking your time and following each step, you're less likely to make a mess of it.

Whilst flying, talk a lot about what you are doing and why you are doing it. The instructor wants to see that you know what you are doing and understands why you are doing it such that he feels comfortable if it were his own children in the plane with you.

Fifth, practise using an ADF or VOR to locate your position - once you've finished manoeuvring, there is a good chance you'll be somewhere totally different than where you thought you were - GPS isn't allowed - at least here it isn't, getting lost is an automatic fail so ensure you know how to confirm your position via VOR or ADF so that even if you are lost, you can demonstrate how to get a fix on your position to make sure you become "unlost", if you get my drift.

And finally, have fun. If you do something wrong, don't dwell on it, ask to try the exercise again, usually the examiners will allow you to do so, they don't want to fail you unless you are patently unsafe to be alone in the air - which obviously isn't the case if your instructor is recommending you for your skills test. And yes, although it is a test, it was fun (for me), the feeling of accomplishment is incredible, nearly as good as flying solo for the first time but you'll be smiling for days after......then it's welcome to the ranks of the terminally skint......

Last edited by Steve6443; 7th Oct 2013 at 08:03. Reason: grammar....