PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Agusta AW139
Thread: Agusta AW139
View Single Post
Old 7th Oct 2013, 05:05
Igor Eurocopter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TCAS/ TAWS on PFD

Firstly, by pressing HSI on the pilot/copilot display controller you can scroll through the various HSI representations. Full rose ( default ) - expanded rose - hover mode. The first Phase 5 with SAR modes that I flew only displayed the hover symbology , when a SAR function had been selected I.e MOT or HOV, on the guidance control panel. Later models seem to allow you to scroll through all 3 options at anytime.

To get the TAWS page on the PFD , you simply press the WX/Terr button on the pilot/co-pilot display controller. This automatically puts the display into expanded rose and superimposes the required radar /TAWS image behind the HSI image. The biggest problem is the image projected is only what's in front of you , whether that be radar or terrain. So for TCAS your missing what's behind you. The range displayed by TAWS can be adjusted by pressing the left/ right button on the CCD for the appropriate screen ( left for copilot and right for pilot) , move the joystick up or down to bracket the range and then rotate knob as normal. Whilst gimmicky there is a lot of potential information there and it becomes more difficult to pick out the important bits, especially if I was shooting an approach. I think for these reasons, I've never seen anybody regularly use it in this way. Most sensible people stick to either full or expanded compass rose on PFD and TAWS/TCAS on MFD. I used it a few times when I was approaching Shetland from the north and wanted A radar image on MFD and TAWS on PFD.

To answer your question fully, I've never been brave enough to want to see a TCAS return on the PFD only , as I tend to operate with TAWS on MFD. Besides I have the luxury of a 5 th screen , so have radar middle, TAWS copilot MFD and Euronav map on Pilot MFD. So nothing's missing