PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 7th Oct 2013, 01:12
Danny42C

Uncle Tom Cobley an' All.

Pom Pax,

I can confirm your observation that the area later selected as the TI GCA truck site was a prime hunting ground, and as it was manned 24/7, in the mushroom season, a chap would go out as soon as activity was detected over at the 22 Sqdn flight line. In this way their knavish tricks could be frustrated - at least on our little patch !

As for the mandatory (?) airtest, hasn't it all gone quiet ? We've got plenty of chopper experts on board. Come on, chaps, "tell the truth and shame the Devil" (they can't nail you now - or stop your pension !)....D.

Union Jack,

I gained the impression that Subtle was no longer "on active service", but more some sort of a 'hack' used only for odd-jobs (taking 'crabs' round the bay, for example), and therefore unlikely to have a regular crew or a well-stocked wardroom. And I must admit that the cocoa did seem a bit strong, now I come to think of it !

I once heard a tale about a sub skipper who was very impressed by the ability of the rating, who brought up his (the skipper's) cocoa (Ki ?), to climb the ladder to the conning tower with a brimming mug without spilling a drop. He enquired how this was achieved.

"Well, Sir", was the reply, "I take a full mouthful at the bottom, and then at the top....."

(Apologies if you've heard it before). And you mean there was actually room for a noticeboard in the sub wardroom ?.......D.

26er,

I must say, I've heard of most things, but lobsters are a new one on me! How was it done ? I assume that they'd a boat (hopefully not a Bomb Scow) to service the "Walrus" or whatever, and it picked up/dropped off the pots en route to the moorings.

The teetotal "volunteers" must have been very public-sprited citizens indeed. What was the quid pro quo ?......D.

Chugalug and Wander00,

The difficulties inherent in learning two systems of foot (and arms) drills are all too vivid in my memory. (US Army late'41 and early'42 on top of British early'41). Recollection is painful ! "Take a brace, Mister !" ....D.

Wander00 : your "still cannot stand tea with evaporated milk" Try it (the milk) with gin ! (one of my Posts of long ago, where we were stuck for the night in a train compartment, climbing the Bolan Pass into Quetta, and had the last of the gin left, but nothing to go with it except condensed milk) ......D.

Fareastdriver,

I think 22 Sqdn had Whirlwinds at TI in my day......D.

clicker,

Ouch ! Terribly bad form to abandon your guests to their fate, dont'cher know ? Not in the best traditions of the Service ! (Union Jack ?)......D.

Smudge,

"Sorry to pop in", forsooth. You pop-in for all you're worth - and that's an order !

Fred Lamprey. What can I say ? GET HIM IN HERE, WHERE HE BELONGS ! Anyone have a contact we could follow ? ....D.

Whew ! Caught up at last ! This is what this Thread's all about. Keep it rolling !

Goodnight, all,

Danny.