PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - He stepped on the Rudder and redefined Va
Old 6th Oct 2013, 21:11
flarepilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hope this thread ends with this post.

1. some people knew the plane's rudder would cause this to happen if ''reversed'', some didn't know. The real question and problem is why didn't the line pilots know? (and don't say they should have known, that's just a dopey excuse, like you should have known if you married ethel her cooking would give you gas)

2. Doing my bit of research, the US government was quite concerned over the role many interested parties had in trying (repeat, trying) to influence the outcome of the NTSB probable cause. Were there attempts to influence? Yes. Did they influence the final report...you decide.

3. The FAA has in the past known about problems with certain planes in certain conditions and have not passed the information along to the users of the planes. I can remember especially the problem with the F28 Fokker and so called ''hard wing planes''. An accident in Canada showed the problem and it was repeated three years later in the US...oops, the FAA forgot to tell the users.

4. There has been more than enough hatred on this thread as to ruin the bond we share in the sky. Claims and counter claims of experience and the like. One recent one about departure stalls in a transport category airplane sim really got to me. We did departure stalls in our douglas, mimicking a takeoff without proper flaps/slats, akin to the tragedy in Detroit many years ago...we called them departure stalls. We also did stalls in the approach/landing configuration and called them approach to landing stalls. We also did stalls in the clean configuration.

Don't attempt to pontificate on what airlines own wording is about unless you have flown for all airlines or approved their training programs.

Lessons that should be learned from this crash.

Engineers should think like pilots and make safeguards of every conceivable type to protect pilots from killing people.

Pilots should think like engineers and know that very few planes are as strong as pilots think they should be.

The FAA better make darn sure everyone knows more about their planes and that training and examination proves everyone knows.

And we better all know that flying can still kill you and those you are charged with protecting. Suffice to say, you should fly like a little old lady to stay out of trouble, but once you are in trouble fly like a tiger to get out...but be careful if you have a tiger by the TAIL.

And wake turbulence does kill, it caused a crash many years about (about 40) .

There may be unknown problems with you or your plane...be alert...I still think of the tragic loss with rudder hardover on the 737 as a great example...be ready, esp below FL180.

NOw, quit talking about this please