PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - He stepped on the Rudder and redefined Va
Old 6th Oct 2013, 20:08
AirRabbit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by A Squared
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdracer
So, Teldorserious, how do you explain that in the aftermath of the crash, Boeing structural engineers did the same analysis and came up with the same answer - that the same rudder inputs would have failed the tail on a Boeing aircraft?
Or along the same lines, how do you explain that even before the AA crash, Boein issued an amendment to the Operating Manual of the KC-135 stating that reversals of rudder application can cause the vertical stabilizer to fail. (previously posted in this thread)
Having my own membership card in the “professional gas-passers union” (active in the late 1960s through the early 1970s) I can say that, while the Ops Manual didn’t have a specific note in the text, a flight crew member couldn’t get through the “ground school” classes taught at Castle AFB without hearing (and I think my eardrums are still scarred) about the effectiveness of the rudder on that airplane, and how virtually ANY movement of it (powered or unpowered) was to be VERY sparingly used … and NEVER reversed!!!