PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pay for a type at a legacy carrier?
View Single Post
Old 6th Oct 2013, 13:23
Bealzebub

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You seem to have a number of severe misconceptions.

Even "lo-Co" airlines that shift the training cost burden on to the candidate by requiring them to pay for their own type ratings, operate a selective recruitment policy. Despite what some might like to believe, the ability to pay (which may well prevent an offer being accepted) doesn't simply become the requirement for an offer of employment.

Airlines (and certainly the reputable ones) recruit the best candidates as part of a selective and highly competitive process. The terms and conditions they offer as a part of that selection often reflect the realities of supply and demand in their particular section of that marketplace.

The airlines you mention (and many of those you don't) are looking for quality. Your ability to finance your type rating might be an issue of secondary importance once they have selected you as having satisfied their perception of quality, but anybody accepting an offer would be in that position so it is irrelevant to the recruitment strategy.

There are "vanity airline" recruitment companies in various parts of the world. The names are often trotted out on these very forums. Whatever may or may not be the risks of doing business with these companies, they would prima facie seem to satisfy your request, and perhaps this is where you might want to look, given the money that is burning a hole in your pocket. A word of caution though, these same companies are no strangers to many airline recruiters, and the inclusion or suggestion of some them in your CV or training record, would (certainly in some cases) raise a red flag on your application.

Your initial question and subsequent suggestions, would I politely suggest, suggest a tenuous grasp of reality in this particular industry. By all means write to the airlines concerned with your suggestion. I suspect you will get fairly bland and unexciting responses. On the other hand why not apply to the airlines who do offer opportunities to a few low hour pilots. You might get lucky and you will still get to spend your money.

I have recently finished training with with my fATPL and 232 TT.
Just what training" is it that you think you have finished? Wait until you see how long the road is to the Emerald city. When you reach the crest of this initial hill, the view ahead should give you your first shock.