PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Modular V Integrated (Merged) - Look here before starting a new thread!
Old 6th Oct 2013, 12:21
mad_jock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That was the period that Ezy were giving proper contracts and also were taking modular. And it was the start of the cadetship method. Whole different game these days with flexi screw. Which is the period that we are discussing. And how long now is it for command?

And Art you know fine there is no statistics, even the CAA refuse to issue meaning full statistics because its "commercially sensitive" In my side of things I see a steady flow of modular guys coming in then moving on or going to LHS. We aren't talking single figures either between 30-50 a year that I know about. Not all of them UK trained. Why is it commercially sensitive? Because everyone knows the whole system will fall on its backside if the truth was out there.

Look, if can afford a modular course, with the aid of a government loan you can afford an integrated course right?
Nope you have 2-3 years out of work and you don't get your grant money as a lump sum. You get a bit of it every year. And if you have enough to afford modular it is very unlikely you will get a maintenance grant because your combined income for your household has to be in the 16k a year region to be able to get it. Modular you can stay earning. And you can get career progression loans in modular from the government. Or at least you used to be able to which most used to get the IR if they bothered with them.

All I can say is go for it. The wings scheme has a huge failure rate at selection. You will of course be offered the none wings course. Then you will have to find bridging cash to cover the periods between the student loans getting paid every year. Then you can go a sit in a hold pool for 12-24 months until someone wants you. Then you can start flying and paying your debts off and hope you are flying enough hours to be able to eat. And then keep your fingers crossed that they renew your contract.

But if you think its a great deal you go for it, just don't try and sell it to everyone else. I suspect you are going to be like the previous heralds for the death of modular. You will disappear in 6 months to a year when you finally work out that what we are saying is correct or you end up unemployed and can't face telling the world that you were wrong.