PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DC9/MD80 FAMILY
Thread: DC9/MD80 FAMILY
View Single Post
Old 6th Oct 2013, 08:28
Yan104

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re hello,

I come to answer courtesy to other participants whose responses and testimonials are interesting .

WHBM I did not doubt a moment that the aircraft orders in the United States , mostly for domestic flights , had been 10 times greater than those of European companies ! ... And then we must consider the context output of war, where with the U.S. aid, European countries began in the 1950s and 60’s to restore their economy and had nothing else to do more urgent and vital that renew their fleets companies .. . Should also say that the majority of airline fleets in the world in this period included aircrafts built in the 1920-1930' , they had limited radius of action and weak engines , and thus gradually the leaders of European and American airlines have decided to move to civilian jets ... This created a windfall for medium-haul jets ... It should be noted however that is trough the long-haul sector , with the B707 and DC8 in the 50s , that are introduced civil jets ... It’s a little bit strange, because the logic would dictate that starts with the smallest to reach the largest don’t you think so ! ! ...

Blind Pew , your experience as a pilot on DC9 seems interesting to me : I had no idea that there had been a sub- series 34 of series 30 , I thought there were only 2 sub- series 31 and 32 ... But all these names are they not related to changes in the structural mass of the DC9 -30 and variants of JT8D engine developed specifically for them? If so , what changes are made to the fuselages to strengthen their empty weight ?
Speaking of engines , I doubt that the JT8D of DC9’s have had the same dimensions as those equipped the 737 100 and 200 , the engines seems shorter in the DC9 . You will kindly correct me Tonytale if I’m wrong ! ...
Is the DC9- 51 does not foreshadowed in his characteristics MD80 series ? Did we started to introduce informatics technology in the cockpit ? Blind Pew , what was the fire in the overhead , why switch battery was messed up ? Was it on the ground or in flight ? How the problem was solved ?

Finally, concerning the icing , I confirm to have read the story of a serious incident occured in a Fokker 100 of Air France in 1999, that the lack of nose leading edges caused a sudden stall dice the plane he had left the track, and that it therefore has a special sensitivity that has been underestimated by the crew ... And besides, Tonytale confirms this phenomenon on the DC9 -10 that was not equipped with spouts leading edges ... I do not understand how these devices reduce the risk of stall condition frost ( of course without canceling completely ) ...