PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Barry Hempel Inquest
View Single Post
Old 6th Oct 2013, 07:37
LeadSled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hempel should not have been flying, full stop.

What always exercises my mind is the "real reason" he was still flying, despite his appalling record over so many years.

Given the usual (for many years) CASA approach --- coming down like a ton of bricks on anybody "they" don't like, who was flying top cover for Hempel.

I know of one now retired FOI who spent years trying to put Barry out of business, (and this FOI is not somebody I would eulogizes - he had his faults in spades) but the "file"was always handled further up the food chain, and Hempel always survived to "fly another day". Even after the attempt to smash the hangar door down with his head, when he was "recovering", he was still flying, something that was hardly a well kept secret.

Once again, we have a system where CASA has not enforced the already draconian rules at their disposal --- in a select case, but will undoubtedly take up the Coroner's recommendations for even more draconian rules.

Quite apart from any CASA involvement, Hempel was a disgrace to aviation, he set an appalling example to the impressionable, but there is the unfortunate trait of Australians to romanticise the Ned Kellys of this world --- and people like Hempel.

Tootle pip!!