PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Barry Hempel Inquest
View Single Post
Old 5th Oct 2013, 20:36
Kharon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Birds? what birds.

Now, I am intrigued; interested in bird activity, of both the maritime and war variety. I noted in the QPS FCU report (B3 p 153) there was a possibility of bird strike on the Hempel Yak. Just thinking out loud here but if, as CASA protest there was no 'evidence' of seizure and as Hutton remarks no fractures then at least the possibility of bird strike should have been positively ruled out, just by examining the aircraft. Like the autopsy report says, Hempel did not die from sudden onset epilepsy, yet the mystery of no broken bones (aviator astragalus) remains unresolved. There's puzzles a plenty here, for them what likes 'em.

It's a bugger though, when the feathered item cannot be discounted. Simple matter if it was, then – Bird strike, or the avoidance thereof; and everyone goes away replete.

The coroner doggedly sticks to 'medical' issues, probably because without a wreck to examine the chances of things like bird strikes, engine or structural failure etc. cannot be tangibly evaluated. Is this going to finish up like the Pel Air saga or the Marie Celeste?; one of life's wee mysteries, or are we going to stop poncing about and raise one or two of the wrecks laying about in shallow water around our coastline. We have the technology, science and funding to clearly resolve the issues and yet, once again, here I sit wondering – why not??

Aye well: at least Creamies dreaded wet lettuce leaf got an outing..... Now there's a happy Sunday thought....

Last edited by Kharon; 5th Oct 2013 at 20:40. Reason: Forgot the deep coded syntax.