PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 7192 D3
Thread: 7192 D3
View Single Post
Old 18th Mar 2003, 12:17
Penguin124

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No Sig

.........."You missed my point, it's not about ops bods assuming a flight ops responsibility with respect to flying operations, but there being an understanding by your managers that ops officers have a given level of knowledge and understanding appropriate to the environment in which they work. If an ops officer needs the advice of a pilot then he must of course ask, however, to action that advice he must be capable of understandings the issue and be able to follow through on instruction, to do that you need the foundation knowledge."

OK, but surely your not saying that Ops bods don't already have this level of knowledge. Agreed we need a level of understanding, but from what I can gather the level required is and has been open to debate. Even the requirements/guidlines in ICAO 7192 appear debatable. I am sure there are many out there who feel quite comfortable with what they do and how they achieve the end result, as are their management (otherwise they would be out of a job !!).

I don't really see the point in continuing this debate until the CAA decide once and for all and lay down the rules for engagment. As of now, it seems the "relevant" parts of the ICAO doc need to be covered. I refer back to FG when he says it will - under the present interpretation - be down to individual operators.

Until someone approves a course that fulfills the CAA's requirements for UK operator's and is approved by the authorities to fullfill that requirement, any further comment is purely subjective.

One question that doesn't appear to have been asked here, has the CAA seen the Glasgow course ?? I would have thought that if your training standards are going to be incorporated into Part D of the Ops manaul, then surely this should be approved by the CAA as it is now for Flight Training.

Enough said
Cheers
P124