PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aer Lingus - 6
Thread: Aer Lingus - 6
View Single Post
Old 5th Oct 2013, 15:03
johnrizzo2000

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is it to much work for 4 crew on the A320 on a 4h30m flight to TFS from DUB, SNN-JFK isn't much longer. Crew are largely done and dusted with services 2 hours into the flights.
The workload on a TFS and a JFK are completely different; on a TFS not every passenger eats/drinks. You have a BOB service and duty free. A T/A service is far busier, and far more labour intensive, hence why every other 757 operator operates with 6 crew. You haven't flown on a T/A service in awhile if you think the service can be done in 2 hours!

I don't think EY standards are required from SNN.
EI are looking at EY's standard of service in their Business cabin, where no carts are used, and everything is plated up, like in a restaurant. However, EY have a lot more crew to do this; EI wants it done with the absolute minimum crew.

The fact of the matter is that with minimum crew, passengers, in particular the high yield Business passengers will suffer with slow service. Business Class service can easily take 3 hours Eastbound on a 330, with 2 crew serving 24 passengers, which is not good enough when passengers are paying a premium to rest. EI cannot see that operating the 757s with 4 crew will lower the levels of service provided to its passengers. If an additional crew member on each 757 is going to make the operation uneconomical, I guess the 757 plan was never going to be the money spinner they had hoped for!

I am far from a pro-union head. I am passionate about EI delivering the best service that they can. Time and time again, EI half heartedly try things; Dubai, Washington & the West Coast all spring to mind. I think the 757 operation is evidence that EI has not learnt anything,

Last edited by johnrizzo2000; 5th Oct 2013 at 15:05.