PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Southwest KLGA gear collapse.
View Single Post
Old 5th Oct 2013, 14:39
ANCPER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A2

Okay, do you know what happened for the a/c to go from 2 nu @ 34' to 3 nd in 4 sec and what occurred for her to assume control and when? I'd say there have been a lot of botched landings over the years without incident due to plain old luck (3 that I know of over the last 4 yrs down my neck of the woods).

Yes, I think it's wrong to terminate a pilot as a result of an accident prior to a full report being handed down and in that sense the crew member is being denied natural justice. Why not keep the crew suspended until findings of fact are made by the NTSB. It gives off the appearance of SWA being Judge and Jury, which to me smacks of them wanting to overtly blame the CA in a public manner while possibly diverting attention from their training standards. I find it amazing that something that is only vaguely discussed and not very often required and I've never seen any guidance/training etc on this, not in 15000+ hrs and 20 odd yrs. How can she have the time with the airline and the time as PIC and suddenly be incompetent. Has the CA been proved to have been negligent or did she mishandle a never trained for event. If the PIC is not competent then back to being a FO, if she should have never been promoted to PIC that is a standards issue and sacking a crew member is an attempt to hide that fact.

By the way, a lot can go wrong from 400' to touchdown as was demonstrated in this accident. This should be a wake up call for all captains and especially so training depts.