PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Southwest KLGA gear collapse.
View Single Post
Old 5th Oct 2013, 13:52
flarepilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I went back and reviewed what the NTSB had released to the public/press and the videos taken during the crackup.

1...the copilot seemed to have the plane on profile (cvr and fdr)

2. the videos show the nose drop under the captain's control.

Now, all the talk, the off course discussion, can't make up for this recorded fact...the nose wheel hit first and the captain was the pilot flying (handling).

You can ''what if'' all you like...what if the copilot would have made a bad landing...but most of us know that if you are on profile at 400' you will usually have an acceptable landing.

And deer speedbird...you seem off the beam...a bumpy landing is one thing, a landing that breaks the plane is something else. Have you broken the plane as a direct result of your landing? So don't accuse me of hubris...if I broke the plane as badly as the captain in question I figure I'd be looking for a job outside of aviation.

I think a bit of tunnel vision and inexperience at LGA and some sort of fear of shorter (but not really short) runways...lead to the crackup.

I will say this...I've seen few really fine female pilots, many average ones, and some below average that get a huge amount of extra training. I've seen some female pilots hired with 1/4th the time as male pilots and ended up needing to go through training 3x.

It is gender bias in getting hired, perhaps...but the sky is gender neutral and demands skill to stay alive.

What happened at LGA isn't about being a woman, instead, its about the discipline to land properly.

Does anyone think this was a proper landing? And it is really a stretch of the imagination to think that this landing is better than other possible outcomes.