PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MCT at cruise
Thread: MCT at cruise
View Single Post
Old 5th Oct 2013, 13:08
framer

Received 483 Likes on 130 Posts
Righto Cosmo, I see where you are coming from, correct me where I am wrong.
Cruising at speeds planned to be at or faster than min drag is acceptable because if you drop below min drag you will use thrust to overcome the extra drag and drive on out of it?
I can see how that works in theory but have you never experienced changes in wind and/or temperature that result in a situation where your only option is to descend as the thrust available can't pull you out of it? I know I have and I also know of several departures from flight level because of that very reason.

Framer, it is time to admit you are wrong, instread of digging up more and more obscure arguments as I shoot down your previous ones...
The minute I recognised that I was wrong about min drag equaling min thrust required I posted saying just that and apologising. I am yet to see a similar post from you admitting that min thrust required does not give you MRC. I have to admit that I'm not holding my breath.
So far you have now admitted, that everything I have posted so far is correct.
Not at all. There are three basics we were trying to sort out
1/ cost index zero = MRC ...... We agreed from the start
2/ min drag = min thrust required......we now agree after I admitted I was wrong.
3/ min thrust required = MRC......we still disagree, I say MRC is faster.

I can see your thought process though. At the end of the day I think you are simply comfortable with lower margins than me.