PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Southwest KLGA gear collapse.
View Single Post
Old 5th Oct 2013, 07:47
ANCPER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A2

Your comments support my attitude to this.

Bubbers, you're my hero, if only all CAs were as capable as you.

If the FO was capable and properly trained why the need for a takeover, why is no one looking at the operator/training dept for this. Surely the QAR data would show whether or not the approach was stable and justified intervention and if so at what stage.

Tell me, any CA here during their initial command training or subsequent upgrades receive ANY training/discussion in the sim on taking over from an FO, anyone here have any guide on this in their manuals? From my experience NO, yet some here expect a picture perfect result from it.

Bubbers intervening @ 50' in good conditions should go okay, doing it poor conditions such as reduced viz, strong gusty conditions, strong/gusty x/winds has the potential to end badly . The FO should be trained and competent to the required standard (to FO app limits, if any) or not there, yet this doesn't seem to get a mention. SWA seem to be getting a free pass on this.

And this needs to be said, strong women are generally denigrated whereas strong men are viewed as displaying leadership qualities.

Edit: By the way, I had to make some input a few nights ago at around 15-20' as I "felt" the FO was not going to flare enough, if that had happened on really demanding conditions what could the result have been?

Last edited by ANCPER; 5th Oct 2013 at 07:54.