PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Southwest KLGA gear collapse.
View Single Post
Old 5th Oct 2013, 07:34
ExSp33db1rd

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
speedbird...hubris...interesting choice of words...but pal, listen...I didn't break the nosewheel off a 737 and close NY's airport.
But are you sure you never will ? Never say never.

Neither did I ( nor will I now if course, so I think in that respect I can say never ! ) but I made some landings that were all great by your definition, but which I would have described in different words, even the final 747 landing of my airline career was not my finest, many reasons, one being a strong and gusting crosswind, I know I could have done a better job, and regretfully never got the chance to prove it.

Recently a landing in a Cessna 182 surprised me, but of course I do get chance now to have another go, maybe tomorrow !

Off thread, but regarding taking over at low level ( SLF sign off now ! ) - newly promoted I was forbidden to let co-pilots fly the take-off and landings initially, but I flew a long, 14 day, multi-sector trip with two experienced co-pilots that I had known for some time, so occasionally offered to let them take over after take off and fly to around 1,000 ft. on approach, then I took over and completed the landings.

Surprisingly I found that these two guys were not performing too well at all, their route flying and procedures were OK but their approaches left a lot to be desired, which surprised me, but being a new Captain, and not having watched too many other co-pilots complete the landings, I lived with it, until ........ coming up behind them in the hotel bar at the last stop before completing the trip, I overheard them and suddenly realised - you bar stewards, I said, you've been setting me up ! They laughed and admitted that they'd had a bet to see who could leave me in the worst possible situation to take over from them !

They reckoned I'd passed ! Happy Days.

We will probably never know what really happened because it was a she, not a he.
Is that true, if so - sad. Surely the Captain is the Captain, what has gender to do with it in an official report ? Bar room gossip is another thing of course.

Flying for an Asian airline towards the end of my career, I carried a US pilot and his female pilot friend to a job interview - she claimed that she was going to be that airlines first female pilot. I advised the young lady that the airlines' first female pilot would not be her, but if - ever - then it would be a niece of the President and a Major in the country's Air Force.

I met them again a few days later, and they admitted that the male had been offered a job, but not the female, tho' they had similar experience. She said that she could sue them, as they had advertised in the USA as an equal opportunity employer - but then I'd fail my first simulator check, wouldn't I, she said ? Sadly a realist.

I never had the pleasure of flying with female flight crew, technically I don't think I would have had a problem, but doesn't it inhibit the camaraderie of the flight deck on some of those long night sectors ? I know some of the conversations we had would make us liable for charges of sexual harrasment now ! but then we were usually a 4 man crew, so it was more like a Gentlemans ( ?!! ) Club I guess, one on one in todays aeroplanes must be different anyway.

Last edited by ExSp33db1rd; 5th Oct 2013 at 07:56.