PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "I have control and communications, ECAM actions"
Old 4th Oct 2013, 08:33
Natstrackalpha

Location: Not far from the edge of the Milky Way Galaxy in the Orion Arm.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Never heard of that "Golden Rule". One head up? Seriously though - what's that supposed to mean?
Well you should try it, Sir?

Am just a baby but Even I know this one . . .? Its not an Airbus thing, its an airline thang, probably a BA thing or came from one of the majors many moons ago.

Head Down (or Head Up. Meaning - in general - if one is heads down dealing with something the other is heads up looking out the window or flying the aeroplane.

Specifically - it refers to flying instrument approaches when one pilot has head in the shed, flying on instrumets and the other pilot is peering out of the window for the lights - at any one time, if a pilot says heads down the other puts his head up and vice versa.

On this ECAM subject by the OP - in ECAM procedures there is a loop. The whole point of ECAM is that both pilots are in the loop.

Also - if the ECAM comes up with something but does not stipulate any action then its QRH and/or "unusual failures" - actually I forget the correct term but it encompasses any failure which may not fall under your main ECAM procedures - as taught - and trained and can be found in the QRH under . . . . page: . . ?

Also it is unlikely that another pilot would casually resist or refuse something that ought to be done after an ECAM warning - lest of course, to the point of resolving the problem, as per the procedures.

We tend to have fun here on pprune and we never tend to about in the air with 150 or (400) pax on board - that is 150 or (400) lives/families/people.
In short, over the years things have improved - as The Times is a lot smaller now - it is tabloid size, in the old days it was huge and rather than merely clip the ear, the force could send the F/O crashing back through the flightdeck door flying to the back of the fuselage.

To put it bluntly, if an F/O gobs off at a Captain for no operational reason then he will not last very long in the company, am talking after landing.

@Yurik

Hello Guys!
What do you order today when ECAM actions are required? Is it enough to say just "ECAM ACTION" witch means that PF took COMMUNICATION or you say the hole phrase "I HAVE COMMUNICATION, ECAM ACTION"?
"Your ECAM, my radio" followed by "I have control"
I fly it, talk to ATC while s/he does the ECAM actions and will ask "ok to clear" each completed action/warning - (just like in the TAP movies and prob every A320 flt in the world).
>
The only time F/O will not be required to ask "ok to clear" is during a Fire, s/he is briefed (way prior to) to just get on with it and not to ask confirmation TO CLEAR(only) but to seek confirmation before moving a fire sw, thr lever, or eng master sw . . . etc., etc., etc . . .

Last edited by Natstrackalpha; 5th Oct 2013 at 00:00.