PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates hiring stopped????
View Single Post
Old 3rd Oct 2013, 21:30
Trader

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mr Good Cat---people are looking to go home in most cases. The choices are go home, maybe make less, certainly fly less (EK 92 hours a month is killing guys) and likely be treated better.

I'm content, for now, but many are not and I am surprised by how many pilots I know are talking about leaving. Not with immediate intent but rather looking and investigating what is available. Talking with their wives and families about possibilties. Nothing serious at the moment.

But the same happened at GF before its mass exodus--just guys looking. But the looking is dangerous!! When people start to consider their options, get the wife involved and onside suddenly when a choice appears they may well take it.

I understand that EK has lost 85 pilots in 2 months. They probably don't care. But in the long run it may hurt them. They should be trying to keep the experience and avoiding accidents like AF and Asiana.

The big risk is the Chinese carriers. They are desperate for experience and the contracts have been growing. It appears that 4 weeks on 2 weeks off is fairly standard and usually about $25,000/month.

If I was running one I'd offer 50%,66% and 75% contracts. Take the 50% example---half of $25,000 less $1500 for the additional training costs, is $11,000/month for 2 weeks on 4 weeks off. The other variations are obvious.

Almost every Aussie pilot over about 45 would jump at it and so would a whole lot of others!!! EK loses a whack of experience.

But like I said--I don't think they care. They will only care when and if it hits them in the face.