PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - St Lucia Helicopters
View Single Post
Old 3rd Oct 2013, 21:10
Gordy

Received 50 Likes on 15 Posts
just thought I'd make the comment
For what purpose...? I fly for 2 companies in 2 completely different areas of helicopter operations and hot load all days long.

One is fire---I will conduct crew shuttles frequently. There are trained helitack to load, unload and manifest the crews. Typically they will not have helmets/headsets and I have no way to talk to them. We typically land them on knolls, ridges, sloped ground in a fire area----never had an issue. We run a 212, Long Rangers and a Huey--no pax.

The other company I now run, is a charter company flying people back and forth to Catalina Island. The passengers range from seasoned "commuters" to tourists who fly one time. They are given a video briefing, and we have "rampers" who control their every movement on the marked helipads. Never had a problem. We run Astars, a Jet Ranger and an S-76.

I used to fly for a tour company in Hawaii and we also hot loaded ALL day long....never had a problem there either.

I suspect that in the accident last weekend, somehow the rotor disc "detracted from its normal level plane of rotation" and so impacted the crew member.

The way to avoid these accidents is to require the pilot to have his hand on the cyclic whenever someone is under the disc. In Hawaii, we would also turn off the hydralics. (In Astars).