PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates hiring stopped????
View Single Post
Old 3rd Oct 2013, 17:49
Mr Good Cat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Emirates hiring stopped????

Everyone keeps mentioning these greener pastures.

Serious question here, not trolling - where are these great jobs?

So far the only job that sort of sounds feasible is the China Southern contract. However, on closer inspection it has two flaws based on the experiences of Pprune members reporting on the Ts and Cs forum:

(1) A base of your choice is promised, but on joining you get told to expect the first 18 months based in Guangzhou.

(2) The salary is great on paper (230k USD) but after paying tax in your preferred base (when/if you get it) it is likely to be no better than your cash element of the EK package. Then on top of that you have to pay housing and bills. Admittedly you'd probably take a pay cut to be based at home (I would if the lifestyle is right) but the likelihood of being stuck in Guangzhou chalks it off for me.

I've heard some mention Virgin. A company taking only FOs who furlough guys at the slightest hint of a sneeze in the East. A company with high load factors, yet losing millions of dollars. Nice new uniform designed by Vivienne Westwood though, that'll improve the margins.

BA for the Brits? Long long time to command and very few openings as they follow the pay to fly route and prefer cadets with Daddy's cash.

There's always the Loco's. Ryanair with their 'we change your home base on a weekly basis' policy, Jet 2 with their competitive Captains salary, comparable to turboprop skippers. Maybe WIZZ Air if €2500 euros per month can get you all the chicken kievs you want in the Ukraine.

Am I just missing all the good offers?