PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F-35 Cancelled, then what ?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Oct 2013, 16:49
PhilipG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having also skimmed the pdf, it pointed out some very scary things that hopefully are being dealt with as regards for the most part the physical plane and its systems.

What I feel is far more concerning is the situation with the software and the way that the discreet parts of the plane are going to talk to each other: -
"Software remains the biggest risk of the F-35 program, according to U.S. Air Force Lt. Gen. Christopher Bogdan
Lockheed Martin’s scheduled delivery of the full-capability Block 3F software in 2017 “highly depends” on the performance of interim Block 2B and 3I software releases, Bogdan said. Block 2B software, released for flight test in February, is the “initial warfighting” software that adds sensor capabilities missing from the training software releases, plus the AIM-120 air-to-air missile, GBU-12 laser-guided bombs and the GBU-32 Joint Direct Attack Munition (JDAM). Lockheed Martin plans to release Block 3F software to the services in 2017."

As I understand the process of getting planes ready in 2017 with Block 3F software requires the plane's hardware to be upgraded so that it will work with 3F software.
This in my mind highlights two serious issues: -

What planes are built just prior to 2017, are they the new spec hardware planes that need 3F to fly or at what standard are the planes built?

How does the training for the teams on the present early build planes, transfer to the new hardware and more integrated software 3F planes?

Any one got any ideas?