PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MCT at cruise
Thread: MCT at cruise
View Single Post
Old 3rd Oct 2013, 11:44
cosmo kramer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
De facto,

I don't understand why you think MMO would be more easily exceeded at max altitude?

If I fly .79 at FL360 or FL380, I still have .03 margin in both levels, with the difference of the .03 being the yellow band in FL380. Actually, I believe it to be less likely, because the auto throttle will "wake up" as soon as the speed goes into the yellow band. I am sure you are familiar with cruising at well below max, .79 bugged, but seeing the speed go to e.g. .815 and the auto throttle still asleep.

In the previous times, it was normal to fly 340/.820 if late (before the rising fuel prices), and have the clacker come on intermittently. Ask older colleagues, no aircrafts fell out of the sky for that reason. I don't fear the clacker, but I respect it and avoid it, I don't like to fill out unnecessary paperwork (inefficient use of time). I wasn't in the clacker for years, and when I was it was never at max altitude, because I don't go there if it's turbulent.

During my climb from 340 to 380, my max will most likely go up to 382 during the climb. I think the FMC doesn't* consider the fuel burned during the stepclimb, but I can't back that up with anything in writing.

I did have once that on the way up to FL360 the max altitude dropped down to FL359. And yes we continued up (it was perfectly smooth) and within minutes max and selected again agreed.
Like already been said the wing doesn't know what's written on the cruise page of the FMC. This has to be an individual evaluation what to do.

The difference to using flaps in 19999 or 249, is that there is no point to doing so. Give me one objective example of where it could possibly be an operational benefit of doing so? I can't see one. To make your example slightly less extreme, even if fast, I can't see any objective accomplished in selecting flaps 1 at e.g. 240 knots. I have a gear that is much more effective in slowing me down, and it needs to be extended to land anyway.

Framer:
The speed for minimum drag does not equal the speed for minimum thrust required in a swept wing Boeing
Aha, but it's the same curve. It's just two different names for the same point on the same curve. So how in would could they not be the same...

and, Minimum Thrust Required does not equal Max Range Cruise
Ok So, which speed would give you the max range then? (If you say long range cruise, explain to me why we always fly slower to save fuel).

......what was min drag speed?
I'll maintain ECON cost index = 0. Didn't check what is was at the day, probably around .76.

*edited

Last edited by cosmo kramer; 3rd Oct 2013 at 12:31.