PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Statins - miracle or menace?
View Single Post
Old 2nd Oct 2013, 23:26
BWBI

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I suffered a TIA ( stroke ) four years ago and whilst in hospital I was prescribed Statins ( Simvastatin 40 mg tablet once daily ) My cholesterol had always been low and I asked my Consultant why I should take them and he said that they helped prevent Strokes even in the case's like mine with people with low Cholesterol, although the exact medical reason for their preventive nature was unknown.

Based on his advice I have continued to take them with no apparent side effects apart from slight muscle pain, although I was suffering from that before my illness in which case it was caused by the blood pressure tablets I had been taking for many years. Once my Doctor changed the tablets it went away ( It was very severe ) I don't feel inclined to start changing my tablets as it seems to me that over time that all blood pressure and Cholesterol tablets have some side effects and it is a case of putting up with what is now for me a minor discomfort as against their undoubted preventive benefits.