PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NEWQUAY
Thread: NEWQUAY
View Single Post
Old 2nd Oct 2013, 18:45
GROUNDHOG

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Hey Phileas I bet you are still in short trousers out there in the tropics, not that I am jealous of course as I sit here in my rocking chair waiting for the nursing home to call. No less than 43 years ago that I sent my first Islander westward to Newquay and it still feels like yesterday.

OK so please bear with me on this but once and for all here is my understanding based on those 43 years.

There are two distinct problems. The survival of Newquay as an airport and the survival of the London air service. Neither is absolutely dependent on the other.

Newquay Airport
I have said this so many times that it is now getting boring, the airport will only have a future by building its non scheduled infrastructure and so far the powers that be seem to be having a good crack at that, maintenance company, parting out, museum, put a swimming pool and a ski slope in one of the hangars but whatever brings in long term money is more grist to the mill.

If that still does not cover costs then it has to be sold or close, I don't want my council tax continuing to go down the drain.

Air service to London
srobarts 'long shot' is actually not so long and could be one option. Yes laugh at the Twin Otter but in recent years I have flown more on Twin Otters in Canada than anything else, for a route like Newquay to London ( whichever airport) they are not a bad option. Skybus is the one airline that could if the management were willing provide an answer. The big problem is the fare that would have to be charged, traditionally the first class rail fare has always been the target. Could that level cover the costs?

As so many have said the 100 plus seat jets are not for a route like this so what other options are there?

Southampton - yes?
Brighton City - possibly?
Biggin Hill - no 'fare paying flights' .....so here is today's long shot. Fly passengers to Biggin Hill for free, it is a stones throw from the City and not far from LGW. How about Biggin, Newquay (or), St Mary's, that would help our friends in the Isles of Scilly somewhat!!

Of course flying the passengers for free they will also expect to be picked up from home and delivered to wherever they are going, like Virgin Upper Class and after all why not? Least they can expect when paying. nothing Naturally a charge will apply to the car element of the journey..... a little above the first class train fare should suffice.

Also to qualify this will be a members only club, much like the Trowbridge Cage Bird Society or Left Handed Club ( some will be old enough to remember).

All quite legal, if anyone fancies giving it a crack just let me know.....

Allow me to finish on a quote from Sir Stelios to me when he started easyjet " Of course ....., you know all the 'experts' said this would never work".

I rest my case.Senility is just round the corner according to Phileas!!

Last edited by GROUNDHOG; 2nd Oct 2013 at 18:49.