PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA609 is now flying - will it change the industry?
Old 17th Mar 2003, 20:32
chuckolamofola

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Skaz said:
"So if the 609 isnt commercially viable as a charter platform or hauling freight etc to oil rigs, then it kinda narrows the ops down."

Why wouldn't it be viable for offshore? The current aircraft in the GOM can't go out to the edge of the waterfall with more than 6 or 7 pax's either, especially on the long legs where max fuel distance is required and there are no other platforms with fuel along the way.

212 Man,

Only the EC155 is near the class of aircraft that we have been talking about, I forgot about it.

PPRUNE FAN #1 said:

"It's fantasy. But whatever. If that's what people need to justify the 609, I guess that works."

I guess the 80 or so orders logged for the 609 are people who can fantasize in real terms as they put real money down.

What gets me is how everyone feels threatened by this aircraft, maybe its the old resistance to change. I don't think it will replace the helicopter but in fact find a niche market that neither a helicopter or fixed wing can currently do alone.

Chuck