PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ten Most Annoying Things About Airports
View Single Post
Old 2nd Oct 2013, 12:17
Davef68

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by PAXboy
VERY well said Cumulogranite. I had this last weekend at LGW. the stair/escalator ups/downs is tedious. I know the place was built ad hoc over the decades but it really shows in the way the different blocks are linked.
Gatwick is easily the worst in the UK for that, especially the Western (North) terminal. Stupid stairs down into baggage hall!

1. Getting searched at security

Nope, doesn't bother me. Part of the process.

2. Having to show your boarding card to buy anything

Yep, I'd love to know if there is a reason beyond marketing for this.

3. Lack of power sockets

Kudos to Stansted, which has a few charging points. Gatwick has some accessible sockets if you know where to look (at least North terminal has!)

4. Lack of seating

Yep

Bristol airport is a prime example - the small supply of seating is always oversubscribed, (and there’s no seating at many of the gates at all!) yet there’s a glut of restaurant seating (which of course, only restaurant customers may use).
Bristol used to be fine when the new terminal opened circa 2000, but has filled up with outlets, coffee bars and the occasional super car raffle.

5. Being told your flight was delayed ‘due to its late departure’

Lack of information is my main bugbear - being told just before boarding is due to be called that your flight is going to be delayed 2 hours or more - I'm sure the airlines didn't just find that out (OK, occasionally an aircraft may go u/s, but if the delay is due to a 2 hour delay in the incoming aircraft, then they knew about that before then!). You can often find out more from the airlines website than you get told on the airport displays.

6. Having to pay for Wi-Fi

Simple answer, I don't. If it's free, I use it, if ot, I'll read a book (or use my Mifi!)

7. Airlines who understaff their check-in desks

Check in on line and rarely travel with more than cabin luggage.

8. Not being able to check in online

See above (Except Flybe, where you can choose your seat for free if you check in at the airport!)

9. Most airport shops are useless to most people

It’s time to give travellers what they really want: Greggs and a Primark.
There was a Greggs at Glasgow airport - IIRC it closed due to an increase in rent 9and the suspicion that other food outlets were not happy with it.

10. Being charged for .......... re-sealable plastic bags

Edinburgh gives these away free.

My own pet hates:

Over priced Food Outlets

e.g. Wetherspoons burger sets you back £6 in the real world, costs £12 at the airport.

I usually eat out of Boots!!

People who Haven't Read the Cabin Baggage Restrictions

It must be 10 years since the 100ml limit/clear plastic bag was introduced, yet you still get people trying to get through with cabin baggage with 500ml bottles of contact lens cleaner, etc etc. holding up the queue at security

Crowding the Baggage Carousel

Sorry, but if my bag comes out first, I'm not going to apolgise for it hitting you if you insist on standing right next to the conveyor. Personally, I'd paint a red line 2 feet away and have lasers to deal with those who infringe before their bag arrives!

Priority Boarding/Security

Just a symptom of everything that is wrong with the Uk - the idea that you can get something/somewhere quicker just by throwing some money at it.

Last edited by Davef68; 2nd Oct 2013 at 12:38.