PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Intersection departures
View Single Post
Old 2nd Oct 2013, 06:46
VH-XXX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intersection departures

I witnessed an intersection departure a couple of weeks ago. It was in a seemingly underpowered C172 with 2 POB. The wind was highly variable at the time, it was medium temperature and the aircraft lifted off with 50 metres to spare at best. The last time I saw someone try the same thing in the same type of aircraft on the same runway they ran off the end and into the ditch. He is now dead from an unrelated aviation stupidity.

It was questionable decision to say the least (the one two weeks ago).

But.... How do you tell the pilot that he shouldn't have done what he just did without fear of him retaliating with a barrage of abuse? Keeping in mind that he has not committed any kind of offence.

The previous time that I did advise a pilot that his intersection departure from the exact same runway was ill-advised, he called up later and abused me by saying that I was too stupid to realize that his Bonanza was actually fitted with an io550 and not just an io540 and that it is capable or lifting off in 243 metres, although in the day he took 420 approx.

That pilot is now also dead after an act of aviation stupidity. (This wasn't the point of the thread, I just realized this as I was writing this)

Discuss.

What have you done in a similar situation?