PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Backing up saved e-mails.
View Single Post
Old 2nd Oct 2013, 04:44
ExSp33db1rd

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Backing up saved e-mails.

I have long wanted to back up to external storage those e-mails that I have decided to keep - but without success.

I was told of a way of saving e-mails, but it involved opening and saving each e-mail individually, definitely a Bridge Too Far so many years down the track.

I use what was Outlook Express, which morphed into Windows Mail and now Windows Live Mail ( definitely the worst example of the genre.) and whilst away from home earlier this year had a problem downloading from our NZ server when in the USA. Eventually I had to make a 'phone call, and also change my password, but now realise that a whole swathe of around 3 months e-mails from when we were away, is missing, and as our local ISP server only keeps stuff Online for 3 months, we can't download again.

I often move what I think might be important at some later date into a "Keep" folder within the mail programme, and it would be nice to just select that folder en masse, as one keystroke, and "send to .... " an external data storage.

I believe Gmail keep forever, up to a maximum data cap, but that doesn't fit the bill. I would like to keep my "Keep" folder of historical e-mails on a CD, or DVD, to use offline on any computer at will.

Is it possible ?

I've tried many tricks from many suggestions, but without success, sometimes I think I've succeeded, then when I go to re-open I get all sorts of varied result, gobbledegook machine print, or a message that "Windows can't open this file" etc.