PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NS Safety improvements?
View Single Post
Old 1st Oct 2013, 19:20
thelearner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
While the exits are important, let it not distract everyone from the primary objective of stopping the helicopter ending up in the water in the first place.
The position of the door jettison handles on the pumas, well 225 anyway, needs to be addressed.

I always thought with a controlled ditching on a calm day, everyone would get out into the liferafts OK. Survival chances good.

Controlled ditching on a winters day when the helicopter turns over, chances not so good of getting out, but improved with rebreather if you have time to deploy it. Then in the water, if you find the liferaft and manage to get in, chances improved but rescue needs to get to you quickly and get you out of the water. The less fit and older you are your chances get less. I always thought if I ended up in this scenario 50-50 chances of survival.
If we can find something easier than rebreather we should take it.

If there had been size and weight restriction it would have motivated me to stay nearer the size I was 20 years ago.

HSSG FAQ's issued yesterday. Last question is about investigation and reviews. I hope if this goes well it will work.