Thread: MCT at cruise
View Single Post
Old 1st Oct 2013, 19:14
cosmo kramer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
De facto,
I thought you were done here?

You forgot to quote on:
Flight crews intending to operate at or near the maximum operating altitude should be familiar with the performance characteristics of the airplane in these conditions.
I am familiar with the performance characteristics, so for to me I don't see it as a big deal.

Coincidentally I had exactly this scenario last night, so I can back up with some numbers too. Cruising at 360 top of clouds with continuous light turbulence (what other usually report as moderate, for some reason). Max 381 with a 9 knots margin between low and high speed buffet (240 to 249, with 249 equal to approx .79). We climbed at it was smooth at FL380. We kept the speed at just below .79 (ECON cost index 55, can't remember the exact speed) and with the variations it was momentary slightly in the high speed buffet band at times (autothrottle acting more fast to correct so not a problem for me), and comfortably above the low speed band, so as to allow me to continue reading the book I brought along and drinking my coffee with out the risk of spilling any on my tie.
After 15-20 mins the margin increased to about 15 knots (still flying close to the upper band giving me 13-14 knots to low speed band).

Now where exactly do you see the problem in this?? Just because you are not familiar with the characteristics, doesn't mean that everyone else is wrong.

And the reason for the pdf was the the FCTM doesn't have those nice graphs that the pdf does. Yes, I am of course am familiar with the FCTM - try answering polite, it will get you futher (unless of course you "are done" here again).

Hobo, are you referring to 737 classic? If so, then I agree. It is quite uncomfortable if going into the high speed buffet band, but the NG is smooth as long as you are flying straight and level. Again, with a 200nm direct and no WX to avoid on the screen, I have no problem to climb and to let it run a few knots into the upper yellow band with the occasional speed variations.

Framer,
I remember a thread about a year ago, where we discussed correct flare/thrust reduction technique for the 737. It seemed to me at the time, that you were quite green?
Did you encounter an instant un-forcasted +20 deg temp. increase in clear weather?
Seems just as likely as encountering Godzilla at FL380.