PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NS Safety improvements?
View Single Post
Old 1st Oct 2013, 14:34
Colibri49

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Helicopter Evacuations Press and Journal 30.9.13 (transcript of actual letter)

SIR, - As an independent consultant to the oil and gas industry, I often make offshore visits. I have noticed many helicopter passengers whose girth would be too great to enable them to exit via the helicopter windows in the event of an evacuation.
They would not only be unable to escape themselves, but might also prevent others from doing so and undoubtedly cause loss of life. It is also noticeable that larger passengers tend to prefer a window seat on a helicopter, since sitting on the aisle is far less comfortable for them.
Prior to issuing an offshore survival certificate, at an offshore medical, and at all heliports, use should be made of a window template to gauge whether or not a passenger could exit via the window in the event of an evacuation.
During offshore survival training, I have noticed that the windows of the simulators used are often larger than those of many helicopters, so the template would need to be a realistic representation of the actual size of the windows of the helicopter in question. If the passenger is too large, they should not be allowed to fly.
Checks are in place already for alcohol/drug use ahead of flying, with passengers denied boarding if they are found to be under the influence of either, and checks should also be in place to ensure passengers are able to exit safely.
Dr Paul Williams, Riverside Drive, Aberdeen.