PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NS Safety improvements?
View Single Post
Old 1st Oct 2013, 13:32
OffshoreSLF

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Colibri49
Press and Journal: Mon 30 Sep 2013

Who else saw the letter from a reader pertaining to the chances of survival in a ditching, suggesting that any large passenger who can't fit through cabin escape windows shouldn't be allowed to be carried offshore?

The letter asserted that such large passengers very often occupy a seat next to a window to give themselves a little more comfort and consequently they also block that window for anyone else who might be trying to escape.

The writer of that letter suggested that there should be a frame created through which anyone wishing to work offshore must demonstrate that they can clamber, before being allowed to be carried offshore. Presumably such a physical requirement would need to be demonstrated by each passenger at every refresher in the BOSIET program.

My wife read the article to me and she's not around at the moment to tell me where she hid the newspaper, so I can't give you the exact words.

Goodness knows, but I've seen a few passengers who wouldn't fit through the largest windows, as installed in the EC225, never mind the somewhat smaller windows which can be found in the S92 !

I think the writer of the letter is making a very valid point. Has this been raised before elsewhere? I haven't seen it.
Believe me, sitting next to one of these "XXL" guys isn't much fun either, and "I hope we don't have to get out in a hurry" did cross my mind.

If you have a "hoop" that the passengers have to jump through, it MUST be done in full kit. Anything else is a complete waste of time and effort.