PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: Senate Inquiry
View Single Post
Old 30th Sep 2013, 23:07
Sarcs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CAsA take note!

Addendum to my previous post

Looks like it is back to the drawing board for the EU parliament on proposed flight duty changes..

Breakthrough for aviation safety: EU Parliament rejects flawed flight time rules

CAsA beware Nick, Senator Rhiannon & co will soon be back on the warpath and they may be garnering more support for Nick's CAO 48.1 disallowance motion

Senator Xenophon:
Senator XENOPHON: Further to that, there is widespread concern amongst pilots about the flight-time duty regulations, the relatively recent regulations, and the risk they pose to aviation safety.

I understand that these concerns have been put to you, but the reports I have had back are that CASA, and you in particular, have been I think the word is dismissive of them. Why is it the case that the pilots I have spoken to, some very senior pilots with many thousands of hours of experience, have expressed to me that they are at the coalface, and they say that there is a real issue in terms of these new regulations?

For instance, I am told that in certain circumstances under the new regulations CASA allows two pilots to be on duty for 14 hours and to be at the controls for 10 hours. I am told that the science indicates 12 to 13 hours maximum duty in ideal conditions and that fatigue risk increases substantially beyond 16 hours awake. If there is a delay in the flight through weather or whatever—many pilots I have spoken to, including representatives of pilots groups, are incredibly concerned about the new flight-time limitation rules.
Senator Rhiannon:
Senator RHIANNON: Can you or any of your colleagues share some information? You have signed off on CAO 48. It is your first point in 1.12 of a document that I imagine you have put considerable work into, and it has there 'after 16 hours awake'.
Surely somebody could give us some background to this, please.
And Senator Rhiannon's, yet to be answered QONs, pages 36-38 of index: RRAT Senate Estimates QONs index

Hmm..god forbid if the DAS and his cronies have yet another flawed regulation dragged through the parliament for review..."mea culpa after mea culpa"...comes to mind! {Senator Edwards your a gem }