PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NS Safety improvements?
View Single Post
Old 30th Sep 2013, 13:20
OffshoreSLF

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HeliComparator
Its interesting that Colibri thinks 1 in 2150 in 4 years is a good rate. Some offshore guys work their whole careers, say 30 years offshore, that puts their lifetime rate to 1 in 286. Even though this is the chance of being involved in an accident with fatalities, not actually dying, this seems a horrendous statistic to me and I just hope its wildly inaccurate.

I'm one such statistic! I started offshore in 1975, before we had survival suits, rebreathers Etc., and our lifejackets were in a little pouch that we tied round our waist. There were S58's still in service at that time, and I wouldn't even like to count the number of trips I made to/from Forties, plus infield shuttle flights in that time. I also worked on the Australian NW shelf project for a while, flying from Karratha to the Goodwyn.

In all that time, I know of none of my colleagues who were killed in flying accidents, though I do know of a couple who were killed in car accidents coming/going to the heliport. What does that tell us? Probably not a lot.

Let's not get hung up too much by statistics, and just concentrate on why we are having all these incidents in the UK sector in the past few years, and what we can do to make it more safe.