PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MCT at cruise
Thread: MCT at cruise
View Single Post
Old 30th Sep 2013, 12:02
cosmo kramer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
...and then just to clarify. I never said that I blindly climb to max altitude, every time it's available. I said I have no problem doings so, and do it routinely - that of course if I see an operational benefit in doing so.

Example cruising at FL360 top of clouds in light chops. FL380 becomes available as max altitude, I climb.

Common sense: I do not need to see FL384, 386 or 390 (or whatever people have for personal margin preferences), to initiate the climb.

And I am not stupid, I plan ahead. Which included looking if 380 also will be my max altitude in near future (wx charts, vertical profile etc), the FMC only tell you the current conditions, not what will happen along the route. You could have asked... but you went on to assume that I am stupid based on things that I did not write. De facto even worse, to assume that I also select flaps with 249 knot (why would I do so, based on what I wrote?). CRM...

Every decision I make in the cockpit is a conscious, considered decision, based on the facts at hand... Not an automated decision based on old wife's tales or "that I always do/need so".

Keep editing because more things pop into mind:
If you foresee that you are unable to keep the speed, a small tip (which I do not use routinely) - instead of going "into a stall" (a bit dramatically put by you, lowspeed band comes first you know). Turn your altitude selector down, and use V/S -100 to -200 fpm, until you regained your speed. Then vs back to level and alt selector back to your altitude. Pretty simple and unnoticeable to ATC.

Last edited by cosmo kramer; 30th Sep 2013 at 12:19.