PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DC9/MD80 FAMILY
Thread: DC9/MD80 FAMILY
View Single Post
Old 30th Sep 2013, 08:46
Yan104

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello everyone,

I had an impediment that did not allow me to come earlier on the forum, but I am pleasantly surprised by your answers and I thank you all for your efforts of reading me! ...

Joy Ride it's true that americans have seen their aviation industry boosted by massive sales of fighter planes and planes of troops transport during the Second World War. They will also undoubtedly benefited from the expertise of the UK in terms of navigation tools (radars among others) , engine (with Frank Whittle father's of reactors to which we did not want to give any credibility in the begining ) and aerodynamics , and especially the extraordinary inventiveness and audacity of German engineers, fell into the wrong hands , and fully deserved to be disputed by the two great powers of this time , the U.S.A and the USSR ...

But I also think that in the late 50s, the airlines in the world should have a huge need to replace their propeller airliners , aged on average 20 to 30 years, and I think that at this time, it was Douglas Aircraft Corporation which dominated the market , with the DC- 3 and its various versions until the last model of the family DC7 . Boeing does not seem to me positioned in the field of civil aviation, he has produced some models of aircrafts, but the seating capacity was limited. But I think it was the first that created a pressurized airplane propellers. We have also to note the presence of Lockheed , with its famous Superconstellation who apparently has a substantial autonomy for this time ... Anyway, I think all these planes were mostly intended to serve the lines of medium-haul , and had all the same reliability problems in their engines and Loadout limited passenger capacity . Is this those factors that decided the leaders of airlines around the world to buy civilian jets ?

I think that in the travel habits of americans, planes had always held an important place. For long distances , connecting states or far away areas as the East and West Cost, there is no faster way than flying. The coach also came in 2nd position in the modes of transport. Who can tell me what was the state of competition between the lines transport in the ground and air in the 50's/60's in the United States ? From when passenger traffic really started to densify in the domestic lines at the point that aircrafts of 80 seats became more attractive to airlines?
In contrast in Europe , given the proximity of their countries , and for short distances within the latter, it has always been more interesting to use the trains than planes. Again, from when the air traffic began to be more important than rail traffic, which allowed the purchase of more efficient aircrafts (and necessarily more expensive) of 80 seats(capacity of DC9-10) or more for lines such as Paris/Berlin or Paris/Madrid ?

Tonytales, I forgot the limited capacity of the baggage of the BAC 1-11 and the Caravelle ... But was it really a handicap factor for the carriage of passengers, affecting passenger capacity? Otherwise you confirm my informations on reducing power reactors Bac 111! ...

I note that you worked as technician on the DC9 and you seem to know him quite well, which rather suits my business! ... The flight control cables and their redundancies were they located on the floor of the plane? Was there a gap in the forward hold dedicated to special equipment that operate navigational instruments?
The DC9 was it equipped with leading edge slats attacks? I recently read that the Fokker 100 that does not, is extremely sensitive to phenomena of icing wings, this was the case for the DC9, and if so for the entire series from 10 to 50?
You seem also to explain a phenomenon of icing tanks of kerosene, that could occur at extremely low temperatures, so how we solved this problem? SAS has been a major customer for this type of aircraft, and this phenomenon would been a serious handicap for the DC9-20 specially designed for this company, as in northern Europe during winter temperatures can be negative!. ..

I'll stop here for today, by the hope of instructive answers.