PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Manually overriding autothrust
View Single Post
Old 30th Sep 2013, 06:15
Altcrznav

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1. Override in A320 means disconnecting AP by forcing the side stick. Since it unusual way may be done in emergency.
That's another odd (rather stupid) procedure. Why would you risk jamming the sidestick with enough force to overcome the lock and risk putting the aircraft in an inadvertent attitude when you have an ICO right there?

Unusual is a mild way to describe that technique to say the least.

I don't have an FCOM in from of my as my company has its own manuals for training, but does Airbus use the term "override" and "autopilot" together or does it use "disconnect"?

3. Atcrznav I am surprised you did not know it for 15 years. Anyway you need not know it now. Below is from FCOM Flight Crew bulletins.

Ident.:FCB-FCB24-00013125.0001001 / 31 MAR 11

Applicable to: ALL

REASON FOR ISSUE

During the approach, with the A/THR active, Airbus recommended to set the thrust levers above the CL detent (but below the MCT detent), in exceptional circumstances, if the speed significantly dropped below VAPP. However this procedure is not trained and proved to have more drawbacks than advantages. Therefore, Airbus no longer recommends to use this procedure. The procedure is deleted from the operational documentation.
If the A/THR performance is not satisfactory, the flight crew should take over,and control the thrust manually.
Its quite obvious from the bulletin that it was a crappy procedure and the key there is the it was not trained. My company never adopted it and it was never brought up. I've asked other Airbus drivers about this on our pilot board and none have ever heard of this either - some with many more years than I in the Bus.