PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - He stepped on the Rudder and redefined Va
Old 30th Sep 2013, 01:05
AirRabbit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow! So much for civility, eh? Geeze … and we’ve never been introduced, either. OK.

Originally Posted by flarepilot
Am I to understand that you have never gone to the mechanical stop in any plane? Did someone tell you never to go to the mechanical stops or from mechanical stop to mechanical stop during your control checks?
Just for clarification … “going to the mechanical stop” is not the problem … going from one mechanical stop to the opposite mechanical stop during pre-flight control checks is not the problem … it’s during flight, after having reached a mechanical stop in one direction, THEN rapidly going to the opposite mechanical stop, and then reversing that to the original mechanical stop, over and over and over … that is what presents not only a problem, but a significant problem.

Am I to understand that you have never landed in a crosswind which required full control to the stop in order to maintain control?
No, please do not understand that … and while I’m not sure what brought you to ask … but you should know that if I ever attempted to land in a crosswind that would require full control to the stop and then full control to the opposite stop and then full control to the opposite stop … and continue … I’d never again drink that much before I went to sleep … those kinds of nightmares are not worth it.

Am I to understand you were told you could not go to the mechanical stop ?
Am I going out on a limb here by thinking that you’re describing going to the mechanical stop while airborne – with the presumption that you believe that certainly no one would ever expect their student’s to read and understand the regulations under which the airplane they’ll be flying was certificated? Well, on every airplane I’ve ever flown operationally, someone, someplace, made sure that I understood that there would be minimal times when full control application would EVER be required – in any axis – and it doesn’t take the proverbial “rocket scientist” to understand the regulations under which airplanes are certificated. I even included in an earlier post, the specific language contained in the US regulation (§ 25.351 Yaw maneuver conditions, for your reference) - where it clearly describes returning the control application to NEUTRAL after application to the control stop limit. Am I to understand you’ve never read the rules used to certify the airplanes you’ve flown? And, before you ask, yes, I’ve flown a lot of different airplane types (more than I care to list here – no brag – just a lot of work) and the A300-600 is NOT one of them … in fact, my experience on Airbus equipment is limited to the A320 and A330 – and then only a few trips around the pattern and some “up and away” flight control tests in each. But, by that time, I really don’t recall if I was specifically reminded as to how to handle the control application – as it wasn’t really necessary.

Oh, by the way … does everyone require a note someplace or a placard installed for all of the actions that we are NOT to undertake? Are there “Do not eat the contents” statements on Laundry Detergent, or automotive oil, or gasoline?

I've been saying over and over that there are certain planes that have limiters (mechanical or lock outs) and that they are well covered in POH and in FAA examinations. I've mentioned placcards till I was blue in the face.
BUT THE FREAKING A 300 didn't have that now did it? Anyplace in the A300 manual from the 1990s that said: DO NOT USE FULL CONTROL THROW OF ANY CONTROLS STOP TO STOP?
IF SOMETHING IS OBVIOUS, does it need saying...YES...and if something is not obvious it really needs saying.
As long as we’re swapping questions … are you saying that you’ve never read or if you read you don’t understand the regulations under which the airplane you’re flying today was constructed and certificated?

Also, are there are any placards on the airplane you currently fly that tell you what the maximum aileron control limits are … or the elevator limits. What about maximum gear lowering speed? … or maximum flap extension speed? … or anything like that? No? Would you feel comfortable in kicking the rudder on your airplane from stop to stop to stop to stop … Or, perhaps you could enlighten us as to the kind of questions asked of you by the FAA for the airplane you’re currently flying that ensures them that you understand what, if any, limits there are for your airplane? And by the “all CAPS” comment, I would guess that all of the airplanes you’ve flown had placards or notes in the Flight Manual telling you what NOT to do? How about flying the airplane upside down? Is that in your manual? No? How often to you do that?

In one transport jet I flew, we could not take off unless the rudder limiter light was working properly and if it failed in flight we had a MANDATORY MEMORY ITEM of which speeds to use full or less rudder.
DID THE A300 have that ? I doubt it.
Really? What speed were you supposed to hold if you wanted to use less than full rudder?

Maybe the designers assumed something about the A300
and when you ASSUME, you make an ASS out of U and ME.
Well, IF the A300 designers assumed something about the A300, they failed in their attempt when they were thinking of my involvement – so … please feel free to speak for yourself on that topic.

But I will say this...when I first saw the A300, many years ago, the first thing I THOUGHT TO MYSELF WAS...GOSH THAT TAIL SECTION LOOKS WEAK.
But you see, that is just what I saw and didn't have a POH, placcard, or a lecture to tell me anything.
Is that right? Really? Perhaps you could consider going to work for one of the major airplane manufacturers … in that they wouldn’t have to go through all their research, testing, and any re-design issues … they could simply ask you.

you don't have a second chance at a first impression.
Again … really? What about a first chance at a second impression … or is that overly deep?