PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - He stepped on the Rudder and redefined Va
Old 30th Sep 2013, 00:37
Teldorserious

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flare - Probably more suprising is how many have been flying airliners since the Wright Bros and just believe everything they were told.

But to your point, I got into it years ago with a guy at a CFII renewal. He's telling me he's a pilot at United...telling me that they got an 'illegal' IFR clearance and such, that's why they blew an altitude or flew through some restricted area or some nonsense.

Ofcourse I ask why they accepted the clearance and flew it, ect...and he got flustered...argumentative...

Well later on, a guy pulled me off to the side and said 'yeah, don't worry about that guy...he got 'in' with United by writing manuals for them, as a way to get a pilot job, he's got 800 hours...now.'

Now this is before the internet, so there is just no way to know who we are talking to here and what their experience level is. I just know if I you and I were ferrying a BUS, hit turbulance, flew under Va...what are we supposed to do, leave our feet on the floor? What if we had an upset, stall recovery, windsheer....sorry no rudders for you...

Galaxy - Picture yourself in that 747 at Bagram, the plane rolls one way and all you got is rudder, then it rolls the other...oops...can't push the rudder the other way to save the flight...because Airbus says you can't? Do you realize with your logic, you would be dead in that scenario? I guarantee after all your blather under that scenario your rudder would look like a humming bird outside my window unless you truly were a robot kool aid drinker more interested in saving the tail then saving the plane. Well who knows if you get into a stall you will have time to pull out your sops manual or call dispatch for advice. Maybe we can put a time machine in your plane, to create some temporal distortion bubble around your plane, so you can sit there, pushing the rudder one way...nope that didn't work...hit stop, count to ten, yep...ok, NOW I can hit the other rudder, see if that works....because you know...Airbus told us not to wiggle the rudder too much.

Last edited by Teldorserious; 30th Sep 2013 at 00:58.