PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NS Safety improvements?
View Single Post
Old 29th Sep 2013, 22:43
Colibri49

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
HF

I'm not going to get drawn into pointless debates about what counts as a flight and this will be my last word on the matter. Having been a NS pilot for decades, I'm as aware as you are of the complexities and all that I was trying to demonstrate is the historically low risk our passengers are exposed to of being in an accident where there are fatalities.

I hope that most pilot colleagues will understand the clear inference of my estimate of departures from and arrivals into Aberdeen and Scatsta. Simply that our passengers go offshore to work and return usually 3 weeks later.

How many en route stops the helicopter might make for fuel etc and how many shuttles the passengers might be involved in while working offshore is of no significance in my "back of a cigarette pack" calculations. Except that if you insist on adding in all those extra sectors, then the 1:2150 chance looks even more conservative.

Things have changed since the 1990s and in my experience there are now fewer in-field shuttles than used to happen. Generally we take them to work and bring them home 3 weeks later. What happens in between is of little interest to me, apart from that I hope it all gets done safely.

If you now wish to rearrange my efforts and build your own hypothesis, please feel free to do so. Personally I prefer to keep things simple.

Last edited by Colibri49; 29th Sep 2013 at 22:44.